What is it?
Google analytics is a platform that shows you information about traffic on your website or app. You can see there where your users are coming from (source, like search engine, social media, direct link), what are they doing on your website (what is the most popular page, what is a bounce rate) or who are your customers (age, location and more). It is a powerful tool that allows you to make your website better.
As many Google tools, it also have API. That allows you to create your own data visualization, prepare automatic behaviors of your app, or put data into your own statistic tools. Lets elaborate on that, what more than only data gathering can give you Google Analytics API:
Who is using it?
Google analytics is widely used by website administrators all over the World. It is a basic tool to measure traffic on your website, and the most important fact – it’s free.
What are the benefits?
You can get all the most important information about your website in one place.
For example, you can get information about how many users are on your website in a real time:
Or how do you acquire your users:
And much more.
There are much better articles about Analytics itself, check them if you are interested:
– By Google how to start – https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1008015
– News, also by Google – https://analytics.googleblog.com/
– Or some awesome stuff by Neil Patel who talks a lot about Analytics and much more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqn7RPSPESM
I want to focus more on API side of this technology and show you what else than just reading data you can do.
What are the risks?
I don’t want to read the whole Analytics terms and conditions but let me quote somebody that name I don’t remember:
“When something is for free, you are the product” or in this case your website. Google gives you very powerful tool for free, so they can use all the data gathered from your website.
There are a lot of articles talking about potential risks of using Google Analytics and it’s security issues. If you are interested more, check it here:
– Is Your Website Leaking Customers’ Personal Information?
But let’s focus on a positive side of Google Analytics, and what it gives you with their API
1. Think about flight tickets prices. When a lot of users are checking given flight, price is automatically going up. Such mechanism can be build based on traffic read from Analytics.
2. It’s hard to imagine some additional data presentation than what analytics show you, but maybe you have some indicator, specific for your craft and you want to track it – data can be read from API.
3. You want to compare some specific data between websites, pages, apps – you can read any data to your database or Excel file.
4. According to latest GDPR changes – user can ask you to remove all data gathered about him. With API you can do it in a very simple way.
5. You can use API to integrate your CRM user data into Analytics to perform better Ad Words or Re-marketing.
What can we do for you?
Hope now you can see the benefits of using Google analytics API. We can help you performing any of described use cases. We’ve done this with Java backends and will be happy to find another cool solutions needed by our future clients.
If you have any problem with analytics or you are curious about other functionalities, drop us a message with a form below.