When you need a custom software solution to meet the unique needs of your company business, the process of selecting the right software development company can seem daunting. After all, you are entrusting the success of your project to a third party.
With so many options out there, how do you know which one to choose?
The list below is not in some particular order – all these factors are important, for different people, in different order. Decide what is key for your needs.
Factors to consider while selecting the software development services provider:
- Consultants or coders: there are different types of companies in the market. Some of them will simply implement whatever you ask them, other ones will act in more consultancy manner, asking questions, challenging your ideas and trying to find the best/most efficient/cheapest solution for the given problem. Think about who you need.
- Experience and Expertise: It is important to ensure that the company you are considering has the experience and expertise to provide the services you need. You should find out how long the company has been in business, what qualifications the team members have, and how many projects they have completed.
- Communication: Good communication is essential when it comes to developing custom software. You should be sure to ask any potential provider how they communicate with their clients, and how they handle any potential issues that may arise. (Self ad: This is how TH-EY communicate as an example)
- Support: You should also make sure that the company you are considering offers ongoing support and maintenance services. This way, you can be sure, that after the main development is finished, they will keep updating the app and taking care of it.
- Cost: Before getting into deep details, workshops or design, you should find out how much the project will cost. This will help you determine whether the company’s services are within your budget. But here is a catch: you need to provide enough details to provide the quote, and this number of details differs from project to project.
- Security: Ask the provider about their security protocols to ensure that your data is safe and secure.
- Quality Assurance: Ask about their quality assurance processes to ensure that the software meets all your requirements.
- Timeframe: Make sure that the provider can commit to delivering the project within the specified timeframe.
- Reputation: Check the provider’s customer reviews and testimonials to get an idea of their reputation.
- NDA: serious companies should not have any problems signing the NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) with you, before getting to the details of your project.
- Development process: if they work with Agile, Kanban or the Waterfall. What is the methodology preferred by you or your company to match with the provider practices.
- Your Role: How much of your involvement will be needed in the development. Some people prefer to write the requirements once and give it away for the developers. Other ones want to be involved into the whole process, test progress daily and see it in the project management tool.
How to prepare to selecting the custom software development provider:
Now we know what factors can decide about which company you will choose. Let me try to describe the steps for looking for a provider.
- Understand Your Needs
The first step in selecting a custom software development company is to understand your needs. What type of software do you need? What specific features and functionalities will you require? Furthermore, what is your budget? Answering these questions will help you narrow down the list of potential vendors.
- Research Potential Vendors
Once you understand your needs, you can start researching potential vendors. Look at their portfolios, read customer reviews, and speak to their past clients. This will give you a better idea of their capabilities and how they’ve tackled similar projects in the past.
- Consider all the factors from the first part of the article
Does this process still look daunting for you? Do you have any additional questions or concerns about selecting the custom software development provider?
Contact us, we’ve got some experience, will try to help.